Findings and recommendations
The study attracted more than 2,000 parents and carers who have used a variety of nappies in the past 5 years across the 12 council areas.
- Approximately 18% of participants were already reusable nappy users and another 34% used a combination of reusable and disposable nappies, higher than 15% within the general population in Australia
- Parents and carers under 35 years were more likely to use reusable nappies or a combination than those in the older age groups
- The optimal time to influence decision making and encourage use of reusable nappies among parents and carers is before the baby arrives. 72% of reusable nappy users choosing what type of nappy to use before their baby was born
- A major opportunity exists to influence behaviour toward increased use of reusable nappies, with as many as 90% of expectant parents and carers being open to assistance to help make the switch to reusables, through interventions such as a workshop, trial kit or advice from a trusted source.
Two key recommendations were made for the 12 councils to consider
- develop a joint communications strategy and campaign to encourage reusable nappy use
- Create opportunities for community members to experience and connect over reusable nappies
In Victoria more than 76,000 babies are born each year. Disposable nappies account for up to 15 per cent of all waste sent to landfill.
We are developing a feasibility study into local government reusable nappy programs alongside 11 other councils.
We hope to:
- better understand how we can help reduce the volume of disposable nappies sent to landfill
- encourage cost effective and environmentally friendly nappy choices.
We invite you to share your experience with nappies by taking part in this survey. We would like to learn:
- What type of nappy does your baby use?
- Did you know there are other options to disposable nappies?
- Have you used reusable nappies? Or would like to know more?
To take part, please complete the online survey via the link below by 24 February 2022.
This project is supported by the Recycling Victoria Councils Fund and delivered by Sustainability Victoria, on behalf of the Victorian Government.
Timeline item 1 - complete
Survey for feasibility study - January and February 2022
Timeline item 2 - complete
Report on engagement findings - March and April 2022
If you have questions or want to learn more about this project, contact us below: