Thank you for your response to our recent review of Council’s Governance Rules. Your feedback has been valued by us and helped guide our decisions.
On 29 August, Council adopted the revised Governance Rules with some subsequent minor administrative amendments. The full details can be found in the Minutes - August Council Meeting from page 22 onwards.
Responses to feedback received during community engagement has also been made available here.
In addition, Council also resolved to receive a report at a future Council Meeting to consider further revisions to Council’s Governance Rules, including reviewing:
- The discretionary practice of including Reports by Councillors on the order of business for Council meetings, including reform options such as requiring Reports by Councillors be provided in writing.
- The discretionary practice of including Questions Without Notice on the order of business for Council meetings, including suggested Governance Rules to regulate this item of business.
We encourage you to follow this page to stay informed about future community engagement opportunities in the coming months and project updates.
All Councils are required to adopt and maintain Governance Rules, in accordance to section 60 of the Local Government Act 2020.
The rules cover areas that include the conduct of Council meetings, public participation at Council meetings, and the election of the Mayor and the Deputy Mayor.
Governance Rules cover the following:
- the conduct of Council meetings
- the conduct of meetings of:
- delegated committees
- community asset committees
- joint council meetings
- the form and availability of meeting records
- the election of the Mayor and the Deputy Mayor
- the appointment of an Acting Mayor
- public participation at Council meetings
- the use of Council’s Common Seal
- an election period policy in accordance with section 69
- the procedures for the disclosure of a conflict of interest in respect of a matter:
- to be considered at a Council meeting; to be considered at a meeting of a delegated committee
- to be considered at a meeting of a community asset committee
- that arises in the course of the exercise of a power of delegation by a member of Council staff; or
- that arises in the course of the exercise of a statutory function under this Act or any other Act
Timeline item 1 - complete
Community engagement period
27 July to 15 August 2022
Timeline item 2 - complete
Report to Council for consideration
29 August 2022
Timeline item 3 - complete
Report back decision to community
Have questions or want to learn more about a project, contact us below:
|Name||Andrew Dowling, Acting Manager of Governance|