We are proposing changes to the Governance Rules to support virtual and hybrid options for Council meetings. Share your thoughts by Monday 15 August.
The changes will allow for a more flexible and modern approach to Council meetings.
Inclusion of these new meeting formats require procedural improvements to facilitate efficient and effective meetings, including:
- Expanding the definition of ‘open to public’ to include live broadcast of meetings on the Council website
- Providing Councillors virtual options to attend Council meetings
- Adapting voting procedures for online meetings.
We are also proposing other minor improvements in the Governance Rules. View all the proposed changes in the Governance Rules Review.
All Councils are required to adopt and maintain Governance Rules, in accordance to section 60 of the Local Government Act 2020.
The rules cover areas that include the conduct of Council meetings, public participation at Council meetings, and the election of the Mayor and the Deputy Mayor.
Governance Rules cover the following:
- the conduct of Council meetings
- the conduct of meetings of:
- delegated committees
- community asset committees
- joint council meetings
- the form and availability of meeting records
- the election of the Mayor and the Deputy Mayor
- the appointment of an Acting Mayor
- public participation at Council meetings
- the use of Council’s Common Seal
- an election period policy in accordance with section 69
- the procedures for the disclosure of a conflict of interest in respect of a matter:
- to be considered at a Council meeting; to be considered at a meeting of a delegated committee
- to be considered at a meeting of a community asset committee
- that arises in the course of the exercise of a power of delegation by a member of Council staff; or
- that arises in the course of the exercise of a statutory function under this Act or any other Act
Share your thoughts
To share feedback, you can either:
- Complete the below online form
- Post your feedback to: Governance Rules consultation, Governance, Knox City Council, Reply Paid 70243, WANTIRNA SOUTH VIC 3152
- Email email@example.com
Have your say by Monday 15 August 2022.
Timeline item 1 - active
Community engagement period
27 July to 15 August 2022
Timeline item 2 - incomplete
Report to Council for consideration
29 August 2022
Timeline item 3 - incomplete
Report back decision to community
Have questions or want to learn more about a project, contact us below:
|Name||Andrew Dowling, Acting Manager of Governance|